Until now, drag and drop and some other things in krunner based launchers (lancelot, kickoff, and maybe SAL?) are based on a small hack - manual detection whether the result is in fact a .desktop file of an application provided by the service runner, and if it is, then we can use it.

So, the first thing I decided to make is some way of allowing serialization of the search results. I decided that the best way is to allow the results to have mime data assigned to them. Naturally, since most of the time you don’t need the mime data, it doesn’t load by default - it is loaded only when requested and only for the specific search result.

That is all for now from T4… I’m sleepy and I can’t really write more…


You can support my work on , or you can get my book Functional Programming in C++ at if you're into that sort of thing.